Work

Work

Sunday, January 17, 2010

It Sounds Easier Than It Was...

It's been an interesting weekend following an even more interesting week.

I guess in a way all my weeks and weekends are like that.

At work, we managed to 'clear the lot' after a busy week yet again. That's our term for completing... and, delivering, all the work in the shop. No one would be walking or struggling to make alternative arrangements for transportation because we were unable to meet or exceed wants, needs or expectations: that's a pretty big deal in my world.

Big enough for me to follow that statement with an: "It sounds easier than it is!"

The week itself included interviewing prospective job applicants; beating my way through a marketing campaign, that like bread dough with too much yeast - kept oozing out of the pan; and, just about losing it with an outside sales representative who has been serving our account for more than twenty years and through two different suppliers.

It also included the completion of two difficult... No, let me re-phrase that: Impossible! diagnostic problems that we were finally able to put to bed. The sense of accomplishment... and, relief is more than words alone can describe! And, I started working out again... in the pool, at the local "Y."

That's a really big deal, especially for me. It's that Newton/Inertia thing: A body at rest tends to stay at rest! Yadda, yadda, yadda...

I didn't make it back to the studio that night as I had planned. But, I hadn't planned to knot up a muscle in my calf either. The studio (Krav Maga) will have to wait for this coming Tuesday morning or evening. I did, however, make it back to the pool at the "Y" for some laps with my son Saturday afternoon after going to the shop, filling up the car, getting a hair cut, having brunch with my daughter and visiting my Mom at the Jewish Home for the Aging, where she currently resides.

There is something very special about doing things like that with your child or children, especially if it includes visiting a parent or parents: something profoundly inter-generational. So, if there are any fathers (Or, mothers....) out there reading this with adolescent, or even adult children; I highly recommend doing something - anything - with your kids. It's time well spent and something really special!

Ryan and I trained in Chinese Kenpo and tested for our Brown Belts together...That too, sounds easier than it was!  But, it was an incredible experience that would be hard to duplicate and harder to explain.

Currently, Ryan is training for an Iron Man in Arizona this coming November. His drive, discipline and determination are inspiring and motivated me to get off my butt. That would have probably been enough, in and of itself. But, having him guide me in the pool yesterday with form and fitness pointers was especially 'sweet.' It builds a kind of closeness I've rarely seen shared by other parents and children I've watched over the years and would be one of those things the MasterCard commercials would suggest are: Priceless.

I started today with a trip to the shop and normal weekend regimen of paperwork that I finished just before beginning this entry: four hours of payroll, metrics, documentation and planning. In between starting and finishing, we had lunch and went to the Annenberg photography exhibit in Century City with some close friends - very cool place, very cool exhibit of sports photography. I highly recommend it!

Oh, and did I mention the book I just started reading that I am now more than half way through? If I didn't, brace yourself! I'm going to be talking about it a lot over the next few weeks! The book is thoughtful, provocative and full of insights into both our culture and current economic situation. More than that, it offers a way to overcome it all.

I think there are times when it's all about cramming five quarts of whatever substance you would like to visualize into a four quart container! Impossible? I don't think so. And, if you don't believe it can be done, call me... Or, better yet, come down and I'll show you how it's done!

Now, it's off to bed so I can get up an hour earlier than I normally would to be at the "Y" when it opens. I didn't manage to drown myself last Tuesday and did lots better on Saturday thanks to my son's coaching. The water is calling me and like Ryan, my goal is to do just a little bit better with everything I do every time I do it! You can't do that without showing up!

1 comment:

  1. You did great on Saturday! Remember, take it easy in the pool. Let the workout come to you until you build your endurance in the water!

    ReplyDelete