Work

Work

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

An Act of Not So Random Kindness...

It's odd when doing something almost entirely for someone else: someone you don't know and most likely will never meet, feels uncomfortable. But, there are times the discomfort is more than acceptable. This is one of them. One of those acts of random kindness that is as compelling as it is noble or majestic.


I'm just sorry I didn't think of doing it sooner...

Because I didn't think of posting it sooner and since this is as good a time as any, I just posted this on my Motor Age site. 

Normally, I would never do something like this, but this is for kids: kids with serious illnesses who could really use the distraction a game consol like the ones Ryan will be donating can provide. If you get a minute take a look and follow the link to the crowdraiser site. You'll feel better if you do. I know I did ;-{)}



Here is what I posted there...


...
As many of you may... Or, may not know, my son Ryan is an "Endurance Athlete:" an Ironman, which is kind of a Triathlete on steroids.


 Normally, I would never share this, bore or burden you with tales of either of our kid's accomplishments, but this is a little different. I'm not sharing this because he will swim two-and-a-half miles, bike about 113 miles and then finish the day off with a full 26.2 mile marathon or because he has really covered more than 1,000 miles in training for Ironman, St. George - Although, you have to admit, that's worthy of at least a smile and a little fatherly pride.

I'm sharing it because his heart is as big as it is strong. I'm sharing it because I hope you just might be moved enough to follow the link to Ryan's fundraising page and contribute a buck or two to help brighten the lives at least a couple of kids coping with more than any kid should ever have to.

Just think of how good you'll feel if you can. And, if you can't, no worries... I'll still love you!

Just find something equally as noble, equally as important, and contribute what you can there. My guess is if we all do a little something for someone else, our industry we'll be a lot closer to making the world a better place: a lot closer to finishing the work of creation... 

Here's the link... I'm afraid you will have to cut and paste it, but I'm thinking the feeling you get from giving will be more than worth the effort! 


http://www.crowdrise.com/starlightchallenge/fundraiser/Ironmadman/1/return/success/success

Mitch

...


Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, this Saturday I’m tackling arguably the hardest Ironman course in North America, Ironman St. George.  It’s going to be a tough day, but I’m elated because with every mile I’ve trained since March 5, I’ve donated $1 to Starlight Children’s Foundation.  I’ve swam, biked and ran more than 1,000 miles in two months.  For those of you who haven’t heard of Starlight, the organization helps seriously ill children.

Specifically, I’m raising funds to place Nintendo Fun Centers in children’s hospitals.  They feature Nintendo Wii game consoles, DVD players and a mounted TV that can be wheeled into patients’ rooms.  This links my passion for the video games industry with my passion for Ironman and especially with helping the most innocent folks of all, kids. 

Ryan's Fund Raiser Px


Oftentimes, children’s hospitals have little to no entertainment for kids as they undergo treatment.  With today’s array of budget cuts it’s understandable but unfortunate.  Still, tell that to the kids who endure mind-numbing boredom while undergoing sometimes painful treatments.  I’d like to help change that.  There’s a hospital wait list 1,000-long for these units.  I’m hoping that I can donate at least two by the time I cross the finish line this Saturday evening.  Three would be even more amazing!

We’re on our way to getting there.  As you can see with my fundraising page, we’ve made a pretty sizable dent.  What’s not included is that my employer, Insomniac Games, has matched and doubled my donation, and a few other very generous souls have matched me mile for mile.  With that in mind, we have already raised enough to donate one Nintendo Fun Center ($5,000) and are about halfway to the $10,000 mark to donate two.

Would you be so kind as to consider helping me reach this milestone?  I’ve never asked for anyone to donate anything in the past.  I’ve kept my charitable acts private.  But this is a cause I strongly believe in, and have personally seen the looks on kids’ faces when they get to play with a Nintendo Fun Center. It changes their entire outlook about a stay in the hospital.  This is worth sharing.

I hope you agree my Ironman Starlight Challenge is a worthy cause. I hope you’ll join me.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.  And please consider donating if you can.  If not, you can help by simply linking my fundraising page to your Facebook wall!  I’d greatly appreciate that.

Sincerely,

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment